Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I have found several recipes across the web for homemade dishwasher detergent, so this is nothing original or new.  I have personally tried three different recipes, and this is the one that works the best for me:


All you need is Borax, Super Washing Soda (you cannot substitute regular baking soda), Kosher Salt (it's kind of for scrubbing, you cannot substitute regular salt.  Sea salt didn't work for me either) and this:



Fruit Fresh.  I found it in the baking aisle and I've heard you might find it in the home canning section as well. Some people say you can substitute lemon juice or vinegar (which I have tried, with poor results) or two packs of unsweetened lemon flavored Kool-Aid (which I haven't tried).  However, this made the detergent work like a dream, so I highly recommend buying it.

Because all the ingredients were dry, I put them all into a quart size Ziploc bag and kneaded it together. 

(Dishwasher Detergent, not illegal drugs HAHA)

Here's the recipe:

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
1/4-1/2 Cup Fruit Fresh (depending on the hardness of your water)

Mix well and use one rounded tablespoon per load.  

You can also put straight vinegar in your rinse aid compartment to leave dishes sparkling, and I also add a shallow bowl of vinegar to the top rack (facing upwards).  It will overflow during the cycle and disperse the vinegar evenly.  

There you have it!  It's so easy, makes my dishes clean and sparkling with NO leftover residue, and it saves us SO much money.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments family friendly.