Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Inbox for Snail Mail (and any other papers that leak into the house)

The idea behind this system is simple: Quickly take control of all the paper that floats into the house, and know where it all is because it's organized.  Every paper that comes in gets put into an "Inbox".  That can be a bin, basket or drawer.  It doesn't matter, as long as everything gets put there.

When you get five or ten minutes to sort through it all, you put it into its corresponding file (the action files).  This is separate from your usual filing space, which we'll talk about later.  

Now, I just happen to have an extra drawer in my filing cabinet (which is right by the front door) and that's where my inbox is, as well as my "action" system.  Its just a few file folders to sort through the mountain of paperwork and keep it manageable.  


This is meant to be quick and simple, no need to complicate it with extra folders and files you'll never use.  If the system is too complicated, you'll never go through with it, and that defeats the whole purpose.

Okay, to the point...



TA DA!  My inbox is right in front of my action files, and all paperwork gets dumped STRAIGHT THERE.  When I get the time, I sort and throw and file.  

Bills
Receipts
This week
This month
Next month
Recipes/grocery
Coupons
Current projects
One for each my husband and myself

I put one for grocery because I always write out a big list, lose it, and have to write a second one (and a third and a fourth).  Now I'll always know where it's at.  Things that don't have to be mailed until next month, all paperwork concerning car repair, recipes I tear out of magazines.  It all has a place.

One last thing, this is called the ACTION system.  Therefore, even this has to be purged once in awhile, or filed in your regular system if you need to keep something long term.  

So, when you make this, and gather all the paper in your house.  Purge, file, and SMILE (^_^) at the new, organized YOU.  Let me know how it goes!
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments family friendly.